Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Girl crushing on Carrie Brownstein




Carrie Brownstein. Have you heard of her? You might have already and you didn't even know it. Any of us who are old enough to have seen Clueless at the movie theater (ummm... guilty!) grew up with Sleater-Kinney on MTV. Yeah, remember when they even played music? The 90's were cray cray y'all.

Sleater-Kinney ranked right up there with L7 and the Breeders in my 15 year old self bedroom music rotation. Anyone remember Riot Grrrls, or am I just THAT old? (Disclaimer- I'm sure there were some TERRIBLE albums in the mix also, but I don't have to tell you which ones because this is my blog and I do what I want.) Ms. Brownstein was the guitar player known for her stage antics and (as Elle magazine put it) her "Chuck Berry swagger".  Was "swagger" even a thing when Chuck Berry was alive? Maybe the lyrics should be "No one on the corner has swagger like.... Chuck Berry?"

But I digress...



Do you have Netflix Instant? That's where my feelings for CB (sorry Ms. Brownstein, may I call you that?) really started to get serious. She is one of the stars of Portlandia! Portlandia is a sketch comedy based on... you guessed it... Portland, OR. I heard about the show last year but never got around to watching it. I'm glad I finally tuned in! CB stars along side Fred Armisen (of SNL fame and ::::trivia::: former drummer of the Chicago based punk band Trenchmouth). The show is produced by SNL and 30 Rock's Lorne Michaels. It really wouldn't surprise me if you told me Lorne Michaels shits gold. Seriously.

Portlandia showcases CG and Armisen playing a whole list of reoccurring roles. I think my favorites might be the "couple" where Armisen plays the girlfriend and CB plays the boyfriend. IT'S SO CREEPY. Trust me.


Cute isn't she? And can we talk about those effortless bangs? I mean really. I will totally give props to some good bangs.

She seems so approachable. I'm going to pretend that she is. Maybe one day we'll talk bang styling techniques over a cup of Earl Grey.  Is this too creepy? Your answer; "Cacao!"
(watch the show... that makes sense I promise)


As if she isn't busy enough already (Portlandia is going for another season) she also has a new band called Wild Flag. I haven't heard them yet, but I know they played at SXSW last year so I'm sure all the cool kids like them.


It's great to see women succeeding out there, being creative and getting things done. Who inspires you to greatness? Let me know!


*ALL images are from google images. I DID NOT take any pictures of CB myself. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment