Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cozy up with potato soup

Here in Cape Girardeau, MO we're having the traditional late winter. Christmas and New Year's passed with 50 degree temperatures and sunny skies, and now as we creep towards February the mercury is dropping and everyday is just sort of ... well... gray.

To keep spirits up around here I'm breaking out the cozy guns. Movies, hot chocolate, snuggly blankets on the couch, and potato soup! 

Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl of steamy potato soup?

I have adapted my recipe from a handful that I've tasted. I prefer to keep it really simple. Feel free to add to or take away from what I've listed.




Ingredients:
Onion 
Celery
Carrots
Small bag of red potatoes
Egg Noodles
Garlic (two cloves or a teaspoon of pre diced garlic in oil)
Butter
Chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you prefer)
Heavy whipping cream
Pepper
Salt - only really needed if you use vegetable broth
Seasonings of your choice
(you can play with the amounts of all of these ingredients. I NEVER measure anything for this soup, and it always turns our great)
Toasted french bread for garnish



In one pot, heat water to a boil, cube potatoes and allow to simmer until they soften up a bit. I usually give them at least 10-15 at a low rolling boil. I prefer to leave the skin on my potatoes. I think it gives it a touch of a rustic appeal.



While your potatoes are boiling,  in a MUCH bigger pot, heat a teaspoon of butter and add in cut up onions, carrots, and celery. Pepper veggies to your liking. The quantity of the veggies is totally up to you. For instance, I like celery WAY more that I like carrots (ummm, have you seen how thick my glasses are?). And you can always switch out different veggies of your choosing. I just like this simple combination. Add one clove of garlic at this point (or half of your teaspoon of garlic in oil). 



Pour in chicken broth and heavy cream. I like to keep my soup about 3/4 broth, and 1/4 heavy cream. Heat to a boil for about ten minutes. Reduce heat to medium. 



Drain potatoes and add into soup. Add in egg noodles (no need to boil them, they will soften up in the heat of the soup). I usually add in the second clove of garlic at this point. Stir.



When noodles soften up your soup is ready to go. 

Pour into bowls and garnish with a slice of toasted french bread. I highly recommend that you eat this on the couch in front of the television and NOT at the kitchen table. It will taste better that way, I promise.


Seriously, take it to the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment