Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Healthier/Happier 2012


Ron and I have been attempting to up our game in 2012. Our health and happiness game that is. That means eating in together, eating healthy, and spending more time on things we enjoy. Resolutions are easy to make, and hard to stick to, so I have turned to the internet for research and advice on how to go about this. 

A few things that have caught my eye lately (for good or for bad) are...

The Fork Diet. So basically, you can eat anything you can stab with a fork. No knives or spoons allowed. So no fruit, because you can't cut it, no yogurt or soup, because that is spoon fare. It boasts positive qualities in the fact that there is no calorie counting, and no food restrictions. Unless you count the fork as a restriction. (Less strict versions of this diet have made things easier by saying nothing but a fork AFTER 6). I guess fad diets just aren't for me. I don't doubt that it works for some, but I don't plan on packing up my knives and spoons anytime soon. I will say that it's a French diet, and those ladies are doing something right because despite the chocolate and buttercream intake they stay mighty svelte.

Water. Man, you just can't top it can you? Eight glasses a day seems the universal suggested intake. But how do you make that fun? I've succumbed to "spiking" my water. No, no... not with booze (although I think there isn't a more perfect pairing with Jameson), but with lemons, blueberries, kiwi, and strawberries, and cucumber. It helps change the taste enough to keep those 64 ounces a day interesting. I try to limit my "spiking" to at home in the evenings, and keep it just H20 for work and derby practice.
*If you follow the water link, consider donating so others may have clean accessible water as well.

Menu planning and organized grocery shopping. Preparing three meals a day at home equals regular trips to the grocery. You might as well make it a pleasant experience. I try to make a list of meals I am going to make, then break them down to ingredients. After a little cross referencing with the fridge and pantry I'm ready for my store list. I break my shopping down by areas of the store starting from the front right side to the checkout. I know, this sounds a little... ummm... anal, but it works for me. I find that I spend less time scoping out unwanted and unneeded items, and I don't forget as much. No need for the chip/Little Debbie/soda isle... nothing to see there. : ) Do you meal plan? Where do you go for ideas/recipes? I make the rounds on a few dependably inspirational blogs. Feel free to check some of those out on the toolbar to your right ------->

Another thing I'm focusing on it 2012 is...

Exercise. Yes, a gym membership is lovely, but not everyone has the finances or the time for that. Pretty much everyone has a cell phone though, so why not start there? There are TONS of apps out there to help you stay motivated and offer different levels of commitment. Not sure where to start? Here are a few iPhone apps I've tried:
-Nike Training Club- this has workouts for everyone. Different skill levels, times, and areas of focus. (AND it's FREE!)
-Couch 2 5K- this has been really effective for quite a few people that I know. I'm not really a fan of running... unless I'm being chased, but it's a great way to train yourself and build up to greater distances.

The exercise options are endless:
-Yoga- there are TONS of apps for this. Flexibility is your best friend as you age. It will improve mobility, help with stress, and could reduce pain. If you are interested in yoga classes I have a few friends who are instructors. I'd be glad to get you in touch with them.
-Biking- this is great way to stay in shape, and it cuts down on pollution as it keeps you out of your car. Don't have a bike? I might be able to help. I have too many! Need a trail to ride? Check out some Cape Girardeau locals' bike paths here on map my ride. Pssst- they have an app also!
-Another great way to stay fit is to find something you enjoy doing, or something that has to be done anyway. Play music while cleaning the house. Dancing around will burn a few calories. Walk your dog! Your furry friends will enjoy it and the outdoors are FREE Y'ALL! I like the neighborhood I live in, but I also enjoy the trail out by the Osage Center.
-Roller derby? You know you want to! There are more local teams than you think! I play with the Cape Girardeau Roller Girls and I always joke that this team is the only "gym membership" I've ever kept. It just so happens that we have a fresh meat class starting soon. There's no time like the present to dust off some knee high socks and join the fun. It's great exercise AND you get to give back to the community. Double whammy! 

Now for the "happiness"...

Time management. Wow. How does ANYONE fit everything into their day with only 24 measly hours?  This year I'm going to attempt to take time for the things I enjoy. I want to read more, have more time with my friends, and share my happiness (not so much of my negativity). Blogging again is one of my other 2012 resolutions. I used to blog all the time (and no I won't tell you the old address) and truly loved it, then I had a failed attempt about a year and a half ago at starting a new blog. Hopefully this time I have found a better place on the internet. 

Thanks for reading, feel free to share what you are up to, and good luck with all of your 2012 resolutions! 




2 comments:

  1. ahhhh resolutions! i figure if i am semi-successful some of the time, I can convince myself I'm doing good things for myself. PS i'm so jealous of your hard core feminine derby ways. i would die.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my inspiration, friend! It's nice to see blogging again.

    xoxo
    Sparkie

    ReplyDelete